Friday, March 14, 2014

THE STARTING LINE

I will need to replace these soon!
I did it! I just completed my second day of training for the L.A. Marathon 2015. Why is that a big deal? Because a week ago, I wasn't even thinking about running.....or marathons. The only thought I may have had about running was...that there was no way I want to, or am able to. I am a 38 year old mother to 4 young children, 80 pounds overweight, and have not exercised regularly in 20 years, insert every excuse here_______________. I am not the epitome of a marathon runner. So, what changed? 

I saw on Facebook that several of my friends were running in the L.A. Marathon on March 9th, and remembered that on my "bucket list" is to "run a marathon before I turn 40". Well, I did some quick math and realized that I am turning 39 this year, so I need to run the L.A. Marathon next March! YIKES!


So, 
on March 9th, I bravely made my intentions public as I watched all of my friends cross the finish line. Here was my post on the social wonder, Facebook.... 

OK...L.A. Marathon runners....you have inspired me! On my "Bucket List" is to run a marathon before I turn 40. Well, in July, I am turning 39....so I NEED to run the L.A. Marathon next year. How do I go from an overweight, non-exercising "type".....to someone who can finish a marathon??? Exercise plans, shoes, clothes, running tips....GO!


I had 22 comments from friends on my post offering advice, encouragement, and support.


So, with the suggestion of several friends....I downloaded the "C25K" app from Zen Labs. The app literally "walks" a wanna be runner like myself from the "Couch to running a 5K". That is where I need to start. Small goals that lead to big goals.


Two days ago, on March 12th, armed with my "C25K" app, mace, and my dog....I ran for the first time in years. My poor body did not know what was happening. Here was my post on Facebook....


I did it! I survived my first day of training for the next L.A. Marathon! I am starting with a "Couch to 5K" app that tells me exactly what to do. It is very doable...but my body is definitely "telling" me that it has been a very long time since I have attempted to run. LOL! It was funny to think about my poor, pathetic self struggling to complete a 30 minute (very mild) training session....because in a year, I might still be poor and pathetic, but will be crossing the finish line after a 26 mile adventure! Woo hoooo!!!!


So there it is...the beginning of my journey to run the L.A. Marathon on March 15th, 2015. I am excited about this journey. Whenever I think about crossing the finish line I start tearing up. I just can't imagine how wonderful I will feel (emotionally, mentally, and spiritually....maybe not physically). It is going to feel fabulous to know I worked so hard for something I have always wanted. 


Feel free to follow my journey....this "Diary of a Wanna Be Marathoner".



No comments:

Post a Comment